One of the wonderful features of blogging is the experience of truly finding your own voice. I have been posting on my original Real Estate Coach Blog at JanOBrien.com since December 2006. After 400 blog posts, I can honestly tell you that the more you write the more comfortable you get with the whole experience and the platform. Blogs are designed to be more conversational, transparent and to reflect the authors true personality and voice.
Becoming a better blogger is like honing any other skillset. You must schedule the time and just write. It’s a journey that takes practice, patience and commitment.
When I think about why I subscribe to various blogs, I find that it’s not only that the author has something interesting or compelling to say. I have also discovered these things are also important to me:
- The author is writing on topics I like or want to learn more about. The blog has a clear purpose and topic (s) and the author delivers content that keeps me coming back for more!
- It’s not always what they say but how they say it – how they deliver the message. The author’s true voice, honesty, passion and personality shines through the posts.
- The author gets the point across succinctly and the posts are well-written.
- It’s entertaining, informative, makes me think or ask questions or want to make a comment.
- The blog posts are easy and enjoyable to read and integrate imagery, video or multi-media.
- The blog is updated frequently with compelling, informative, interesting content that keeps me checking back for more or subscribing to the updates.
We all have a voice! It may take a little while to trust the process and find it however. Here are a couple of tips for you to ponder as you find your blog voice:
- Write for yourself first. Write 20 posts and watch how your voice starts to emerge and develop.
- Blog like you are in a room full of friends, having a conversation, catching up on the news and latest events.
- Write in a stream of consciousness – just get on your computer and let it flow.
- Share your opinions and ideas. Be candid but not polarizing or off-putting.
- It takes a while to develop your voice, so have patience and don’t quit!
You haven’t discovered the benefits of blogging yet?
Consider joining Active Rain and using their blog platform to connect and network with over 304,944 real estate professionals. It’s free to set-up an account and internal blog on the network. A public (External) blog costs $39/mth or $199/year.
There are several benefits to joining Active Rain – here are a few:
- Community and Networking– with over 300,000 members on Active Rain, it is the largest social network dedicated to real estate
- Discover if Blogging is For You – AR is a great place to learn the principles and techniques of blogging
- Education– there is a ton of great content, strategy and advice from other professionals on the platform
- Referrals– opportunity to post and receive referrals between members
- Advice– Have an issue or just want to get some advice from other real estate pros? Ask AR. Whether its a problem client or a sales question, ask the AR community, you will get answers.
Blogging for Business Series:
Visit our Family of Websites & Blogs:
- Real Estate Team Builder: http://realestateteambuilder.com/
- WBNL Coaching: http://wbnlcoaching.com/
- Wandering But Not Lost: http://wanderingbutnotlost.com/
- Wandering But Not Lost Podcast: http://wbnlpodcast.com/
- Real Estate Coach Blog: http://www.janobrien.com/
Real Estate and Reality meet as co-hosts, Jan O’Brien and Matt Emerson bring you Tips, Tools, & Topics to supercharge your business. They’ll share their insights along with interviews with industry thought leaders. The ethos of WBNL Coaching is helping you to align and connect so that you can prosper. The Wandering Zen segment will offer you some inspiration so that you can disconnect and recharge.
Visit WBNL Podcast for all of our Episodes, Show Notes, Videos and Links to Resources
- Interested in Building a Real Estate Team? Check out our complete, turnkey REAL ESTATE TEAM BUILDER System
- Join the WBNL Coaching Wanderers Club – Only $197/year for our online, virtual coaching and training platform for Real Estate and Business Professionals.
- Visit WanderingButNotLost.com for some Wandering Zen, great travel tips & insights