“Gratitude unlocks the fullness of life. It turns what we have into enough, and more. It turns denial into acceptance, chaos to order, confusion to clarity. It can turn a meal into a feast, a house into a home, a stranger into a friend. Gratitude makes sense of our past, brings peace for today and creates a vision for tomorrow.” -Melody Beattie
In the aftermath of yet another horrific mass shooting tragedy, this time in Orlando, we are all struggling with a myriad of emotions and how to process it all. One powerful strategy to stay grounded in the present moment and get back to fostering contentment, joy, respect, and a connection to our world and the people in it is to practice gratitude daily.
Today, I am grateful for…..
A powerful and simple daily practice to help us stay in the present moment, be mindful and happy is to ask and answer this question each day. Practicing gratitude daily creates awareness and appreciation for what we do have. It gives us perspective.
Taking it a step further… record it daily in a journal or your calendar.
Keep a digital journal or diary…there are plenty of APPS for that! Just search journal or diary in the APP store. Here are two I recommend checking out:
A Gratitude Journal is an excellent and easy way to practice daily journaling. Just follow these simple steps to cultivating more gratitude and happiness in your life:
- Select a journal or notebook that interests or inspires you. Visit a book store and see what jumps out for you – discover if you prefer ruled or un-ruled, blank pages. My personal preference is the Moleskin notebooks – the blank, unlined versions.
- Get a favorite pen or writing instrument. Don’t underestimate the value of a great pen!
- At the end of the day simply answer this question in your gratitude journal –
Today I am grateful for….
- What happened today that made you smile?
- Who are you thankful for today?
- Notice and record memorable moments
- Notice and write down synchronicities
- Celebrate the small things
More Gratitude Practice Resources:
In her best selling book “Simple Abundance – A Day Book of Comfort and Joy “, Sarah Ban Breathnach takes the reader on a daily inspirational and transformational journey toward self-discovery and awareness weaving these 6 major themes of gratitude, simplicity, order, harmony, beauty and joy.
Go Gratitude – Take the 42-day gratitude experiment. Watch the video and then sign-up to receive “42 daily doses of high-frequency images, artwork, inspirational messages and resources.”
Check out these articles on Gratitude:
- Why Gratitude Makes Life Better and 40+ Ways to Get Started
- How to Start a Gratitude Practice to Change Your Life
- 50 Ways to Show Gratitude for the People in Your Life